Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Exile

Through reading about exile and its many forms I can’t help but put examine my own situation and experiences. I left Chicago to go to a boarding school in northern Indiana and the change of environment was at first shocking. I still remember the first night in which I had difficulty sleeping and could hear the crickets chirping. It made for a difficult night’s sleep. However, the geography and rural nature was not the only changes that made me feel as if I was in a new land. The differences from going to Chicago and my neighborhood, that is predominantly Hispanic, were vast. The culture shock I experienced took time to adjust to. Now here at Wabash I experience another version of Indiana that also seems different to me. The political climate seems more aggressive and it also seems to affect our social interactions. I hope that with these experiences I can understand the differences that people undergo in changing location and its effect to perspective.

No comments: