Sunday, March 16, 2008

'Tonight I Can Write...'

Neruda is obviously in limbo about his lost love. The repititiveness of the opening line struck me hindsight. In the first half of the poem it seems as if he is trying to tell himself that he is over her. As the poem progresses he states, "the night is shattered and she is not with me" (line: 16). He is feeling lost without his lover, insinuating she has been with him every waking moment of his life up to this point, and now he has no clue what to do. The imagery in this poem puts a lot into perspective. Line 24 where he says, "my voice tried to find the wind to touch her hearing" creates a very pure and seductive image of the voice. Although he tells us he is over her he does not do a good job in convincing us of that. In the second to last stanza he is still longing for her, and by the last stanza it seems as if he is still trying to convince himself he is over his lover. Again, I think the imagery of the sky and stars evokes meaning throughout the poem. It tells me that his love for her is forever, much like the 'blue stars shiv[vering] in the distance' and her 'infinite eyes', both hinting at an eternity love poem.

No comments: