Thursday, February 14, 2008

Calamities

Once I looked at this excerpt from the reading it immidiately connected me to what my grandmother, and great-grandmother (yes she still is alive), once said. She lived in the early 90's and to this day recollects on how she would love to return to her native land and possibly try and be a voice for those who don't have one. She would go back to her native land and simply be a shadow of her old self. For all the bad events that went on (the calamities), and those people who weren't able to stand up for themselves would be a dream come true to her.\
Aime Cesaire states that he would return back "sleek and young" for people would not even recognize him in my opinion. People who often break down due to the stress and despair, are those he would help out and bring them back up by using his voice as the bridge to freedom. And just as my great-grandma said, he too would be that voice of the past events that were major calamities.

No comments: