Thursday, February 28, 2008

Exiled from the Rest

This seems silly now, but at the time of my childhood this was a very important event. I was in 5th grade and it was little league baseball tryouts. They had three systems, the "majors" the "minors" and "farm league based on skill. At tryouts I was awesome, better than almost any other person out there. I was sure to get into the majors. However when the time came to see who I was on the list I didn't make the team. However, every single one of the coach's son's friends made the team, some who definitely did not deserve to be on the team. It was one of the most disheartening times for me. I couldn't hold my emotions in and ran off the field. I ended up quitting that team because I didn't feel like playing for them. I was able to switch teams in the league and played for a different minor league team.

However, I proved (at least to myself if not to others) that I did deserve that spot on the majors. That year I won the MVP in my minor league, had a batting average .150 points higher than anyone else in the league, and surprisingly was asked to play in the majors by the same coach who cut me. I denied the offer however, telling him I would play for any other team but his.

No comments: